Sunday 1 November 2015

25: PALLAS - Beat the Drum (1998)

Introduction by Jerry van Kooten

It's been a while since I revisited my Pallas collection. Pallas' music and my musical taste have shifted in different ways, but I still love the albums I loved back then. Beat the Drum, was their first album after a long hiatus, one I had been very much looking forward to, and one that I loved from the very first listen.

Call to Arms, All or Nothing, and Hide and Seek are OK, for some reason Fragments of the Sun didn't do it for me. But I still love the haunting title track and the way it progresses and the weirdness of Insomniac. I still absolutely love the 1998 version of Ghosts, which had the amazing new keyboard solo compared to the 1988 version.

Thanks to writing this article, I realise that I like the same songs the same way I did back then. It's interesting to see, that although my taste has shifted, an album that is almost 20 years old still appeals to me the same way it did when it was released.


From  the DPRP review archives, read Ed Sander's original review of Beat The Drum from in 1998.
Read it here

Watch a video of the title track being played live in 2002
Listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment