Sunday, 5 April 2015

12: YES - Going For The One (1977)



Introduction by Andrew Halley

Going for the One was the first album I ever bought. It was the summer of 1977 and I was seventeen years old. Punk was all over the charts and the music press, but this album went to No.1 in the UK album charts. I remember thinking that must have pi**ed off all the "trendies"! 
By October I attended my first ever stadium concert: Yes at Wembley. £4.25 for the ticket and the band played the whole album live. 
From the opener Parallels, through the animated ballet dancer backdrop of Turn of the Century, to the Roundabout encore, I can still hear it now. 
Back to to the LP, and that lovely sunset, gatefold image of Lake Geneva (Lac L√©man), with the band's individual photos, even changed the way that I dressed. Awaken I was.


From DPRP's Yes review special in 2014, read our trio review including the viewpoint of guest reviewer Theo Travis (Steven Wilson Band/Soft Machine Legacy).

Read it here 

Watch this official video of Yes' Wonderous Stories.
Watch the video here



No comments:

Post a Comment